Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Stronger

Prompts: Engulf, verb: (of a natural force) sweep over (something) so as to surround or cover it completely.
Fearful, adjective: feeling afraid; showing fear or anxiety, causing or likely to cause people to be afraid; horrifying.


Grimace, noun: an ugly, twisted expression on a person's face, typically expressing disgust, pain, or wry amusement; verb: make a grimace.

Prompts: Engulf, verb: (of a natural force) sweep over (something) so as to surround or cover it completely.
Fearful, adjective: feeling afraid; showing fear or anxiety, causing or likely to cause people to be afraid; horrifying.
Grimace, noun: an ugly, twisted expression on a person's face, typically expressing disgust, pain, or wry amusement; verb: make a grimace.

                                                     Stronger 

Engulfed in pain
Fearful of its continuance
I grimace and moan
Silently to myself
Then after thinking
What’s the point of complaining?
I just ride out the waves
Hoping it will soon go
Resistance is futile
When it has you in its grip
Muscle pain, weakness
The inability to do normal chores
Makes you feel inhuman
Wondering when you were ever
Without this underlining pain
And how you’d like to have only
The nagging pain again
Instead of this clenching
Burrowing, mind blowing pain
I try to think of other things
Distract myself with shows and movies
Books that take me away
From remembering this ruthless pain
For it will pass, it has before
Patience after all is a virtue
I tell myself
Platitudes to get me through
I will survive

I’m stronger you know.
                                                         ©Sheilagh Lee February 17, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment